Academic Training Visas

Your gateway into the professional world

In many countries, the Academic Training visa enables the host country to replenish its professional cadre, on one hand, and provides the student with an opportunity to put his/her newly-gained training into practice, on the other.

This visa is usually aimed at students and provides them with a limited period during which they may find employment in the subject that they have been studying.

The J-1 Exchange Visitor Program in the United States is one example, and it is applicable either immediately after one completes one’s studies, or at any time during the course of studies. The applicant must be a full-time student.

Australia’s 407 Training visa, on the other hand, does not require the applicant to be a student in an Australian academic instiution, but may apply to students in foreign instutions or even employees abroad seeking additional training. It is thus related to the Visiting Academic visa (419).

Find out if you qualify for an academic training visa.

In the US, a student may undertake academic training without remuneration at any time. Training with pay must be commenced no later than 30 days after completing one’s course of studies. A DS-2019 form must be filled in by the academic institution and the emplyer. On average, about 5,000 foreign students in the US from more than 100 countries avail themselves of this opportunity; and quite often this course of events leads to a temporary work visa – if the place of employment decides to sponsor the applicant as an immigrant.

In 2015, there were over 26 million foreign-born residents in the US labor force – about 17% of the total – compared to 13% of the total population. Although they are more often than not employed in the services industries, their contribution to the US economy in terms of innovation and expansion has been immeasurable.

CIS Application’s team of specialists are highly experienced in immigration services, and can help you immigrate, work and study abroad. All visa applications are serviced by members of the respective national immigration lawyers and agents associations.

Contact us for more information.