Accompanying Spouse/Child Visas

Immigration - a family matter

Different countries have different regulations for accompanying families, though few seek to cause a separation or other form of family tension. US visa law, for example, does not recognize common-law relationships, such as life partners or fiancées. You must be formally married. Australia, on the other hand, recognizes same-sex partners – anyone with whom the main applicant has been living for at least 12 months.

Both there and in many other countries (the list is subject to change), accompanying spouses/partners will get a work permit if the main applicant is on a working visa.

The US’s B2 visa, for example (that is the accompanying spouse visa adjoining a B1 business visa), must be renewed at 6-month intervals; in other places, the accompanying visa is renewed alongside the main applicant’s visa.

In Australia, bringing children can be a costly option, since the applicant must prove he/she has sufficient funds for school fees, in addition to other expenses.

Find out the precise requirements for your accompanying spouse/child.

In most countires, sponsoring family visas is enabled by levels of proximity – spouses and children first, parents, then siblings and so forth. The primary visa holder, though, must usually fulfil age requirements. However, care must be taken. For example, in the UK, a resident alien who overstays abroad (to care for a sick parent, for example) may be denied re-entry, thereby causing a domestic split.

On the other hand, ‘family reunification’ is often sufficient rason to provide family members with a visa in order to reunite with a family member already residing in a host country. In fact, 75% of all new immigrants to the US do so on the basis of family reunification.

Marriage migration is a sub-clause of family reunification that has come under the spotlight in recent years, due to the ills of human trafficking.

CIS Application’s team of specialists are highly experienced in immigration services, and can help you immigrate, work and study abroad. All visa applications are serviced by members of the respective national immigration lawyers associations.

Contact us for more information.